Thursday, June 20, 2013

Coping - Part Three: The Spiritual Side

Full-time 24/7 caregiving places stress on every aspect of your life.  Whether your marathon is just beginning, or it's been so long that it seems never-ending, you are already aware of this.  Finding outlets for stress relief is vital for your well-being and health, both physical and spiritual.  God made us spiritual beings and when that part of our lives dries up, no amount of "away time" or crafting, sewing, reading, TV watching will substitute.

I find true renewal in Bible study and prayer.  To be honest, I have always had trouble "not being in control" of events in my life.  And although my head says, "I'm putting this in God's hands", most of the time, my heart refuses to let go.  My husband has had multiple surgeries, most of them an emergency or a physical situation that finally got so bad, he had no choice.  I think I have finally learned to trust that God is going to work out the details.  But on more than one occasion He has had to thump me on the head to get my attention, reminding me once again to Let Go and Let God.

That being said, I have really been working at a regular devotional and Bible reading time. In January, I decided to read the Bible through this year, using a devotional Bible which divides up the readings and begins each day with a very short devotional which applies to the readings.  I can't begin to count how many times the reading for the day, or the devotional thought, gave me just the lift I needed at the moment.

Scriptures that I lean on?  Isaiah 40:31, Philippians 4:13, Philippians 4:19, Micah 6:8, Psalm 56:3, and my husband's favorite, Mark 9:23.  I'm sure you have yours as well.

In really stressful moments (joyful moments too), I sing -- out loud, sometimes off key, but always with a prayerful heart.  As a child and teenager, I was in both morning and evening services every Sunday at our local Southern Baptist Church.  I sang in the choir all through my high school years, and the old hymns in the Baptist Hymnal are imbedded in my memory.  (Usually the 1st, 2nd, and last verses!)  Even though many of the old songs are "out of fashion" now, the message in the lyrics bring me peace in really stressful times.  Besides, how can you feel depressed after singing "To God Be the Glory" at the top of your lungs?

Finally, praying is something that we do need to schedule time for, but I find myself breathing short bursts in odd places:  bathroom, at the kitchen sink, driving to work, or sitting quietly before sleep catches up with me.  This is where I gather the strength I depend on as I know the He is always listening, whether I'm praising His name, praying for a friend in need, asking forgiveness where I have failed, or thanking Him for my blessings, large and small.  Believe me, in the lows and highs of this long marathon we are in, it is only through leaning on God's strength that we will survive.

3 comments:

  1. Judy, three years ago I decided to read the Bible through, too. I have lost count of how many Januarys I started and then got bogged down in February somewhere in Leviticus. This time I took away the time pressure and the guilt by reading some every day and just moving the bookmark as I went. It took me over two years but I'm so glad I did it. Now I'm reading The Daily Message but also without the time pressure. Don't get discouraged if you "fall behind." The verses you most need will be there on the day you need them. The schedule is far less important than being faithful and listening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cherry! So far, I am up to date. I think it's because the devotional Bible I am using breaks up the readings. If it didn't, I probably wouldn't make it through 1 Chronicles. :)

      God Bless you! I love reading your posts on Face Book.

      Delete
  2. Tommy is so blessed to have you.

    ReplyDelete